Saturday, January 23

ABOUT THE NAME: MARZIPAN & MARTHA

Getting this letterpress starts to fulfill a little bit of a dream I've had since I was a kid. I have always had a love for all things precious and thoughtful.

I'm not talking about tea party doilies or those Ann Geddes pictures from the '90s with the babies dressed up like woodland fairies. I'm talking about attention to detail, like when you buy something at a shop and leave with it wrapped in special tissue paper and a cute little bag, or when you get a card in the mail that has a wax seal on the pattern-lined envelope, or even those little fruit-shaped molds of almond-flavored marzipan that have been individually painted with food coloring... I could go on and on....

It's the little details that I treasure and appreciate. And the person I think epitomizes that above all others would be the queen of over-the-top details, herself, Ms. Martha Stewart. I went through a long period of hanging on her every superlatively crafty word, hoping I could someday live in her world of organization and perfection. And while I no longer idolize her in that obsessive teenager sort of way, I still think she defines for me what it means to pay attention to the little details of the every-day.

So, to me, Marzipan & Martha summarizes that feeling of finding that little extra touch someone took the time to put on something to make it special just for you. Whether it's a handmade note for someone out of the blue, or the details of a personalized wedding invitation set, this is the goal I want to accomplish with any letterpress projects I set forth on.

No comments:

Post a Comment